Women's Sports Ministry Update: Winter 2015
The transition from fall sports to the winter season has offered exciting opportunities to continue to build an FCA ministry foundation within the Women’s Athletic Department. While most athletes leave campus for about a month over Christmas break, I have had the privilege of developing relationships with some of the ladies on the Women’s basketball team- watching in on practices, sitting courtside at home games, and traveling to ACC matches at NC State and Duke. On a deeper level, I also have been blessed to weekly meet with one of the believers on the team to mutually encourage each other in faith, sports, and life!
As stated above, most of the athletes enjoy a long break in studies over the holidays, but that doesn’t mean that ministry stops! I am so proud of the volleyball & golf athletes in our small group Bible study who committed to reading and studying a chapter of the Book of John each day of break! They engaged over the phone together with the Word of God and came to more deeply know the Christ whose birth they were celebrating!
- The message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ would reach those who have never heard, and believers would be encouraged and edified this year in their love and knowledge of the Living Lord
- Continued favor in relationships and opportunities with all coaches and athletes, specifically with Women’s basketball & the upcoming spring sports
- Preparing for our Spring Break Mission’s Trip in Eleuthera
- The Lord’s wisdom and guidance in building awareness of the ministry in the community
- Believing students spiritual strength, protection, and endurance to prioritize the Lord with the start of a new semester
- Unity, wisdom, and boldness for our FCA team (Dave, EL, Andi, and myself) as well our CrossTraining teammates with Athletes in Action
- Provision through new financial teammates
Ministry Update: Fall 2014
I am privileged to have the opportunity and responsibility to serve and seek to see the campus of Virginia Tech impacted for Jesus Christ through the influence of female athletes and their coaches. After serving with Northern Virginia FCA for two years, I began ministry at VT in August of 2014. In just a few months,
The Lord has worked tremendously through the “ministry of presence” to impact the women’s athletic programs.
God has given us a tremendously unique platform to be on-campus within the Athletic Department and to “be there” for any athlete or coach who voluntarily chooses to seek Biblical encouragement, equipment, or empowerment. On an average week, I witness the ministry minimally reaching 8 sports, connecting with 9 coaches, holding 10 on-on-one meetings, coordinating 8 small group Bible studies, and attending 9 practices and 3 games.
Beyond the numbers, I have the great privilege of joining with young women in the intimate moments of their lives. For example, I have treasured receiving a text message in the middle of the night from an athlete I disciple weekly with a picture of her new engagement ring, lingering after practice with an injured, crying freshman to simply listen and pray, and celebrating the baptism of one of our student athletes.
Certainly, a unique and unexpected opportunity of favor has been the access I've had with the women's volleyball team. I have been able to travel to the majority of their away matches - blessing and sharing meals, holding Bible studies, developing deeper relationships with coaches, athletes, and parents, and encouraging the believers on the team in their pursuit as followers of Jesus.
Like to join the team? Click here MYFCA.ORG